Research over the last ten years has shown specific light can affect and regulate our moods and wellbeing - and dairy cows are no different.
But did you know it can also affect milk yields and your bottom line, thanks to every living mammals’ dependence on melatonin.
Often referred to as the ‘body clock’, melatonin regulates our circadian rhythm, the 24 hour cycle that tells our bodies when to sleep, rise, and eat - helping to regulate many of a herd’s biological processes.
And it’s that rhythm DairyLight technology harnesses to support herd performance. The unique white, blue and red LED lighting system is scientifically proven to enhance a
cow’s performance and general wellbeing all year round. It’s also proven to boost profits by increasing milk yields in dairy cattle and the efficiency of feed uptake in beef cattle.
The LED spectrum lighting system regulates the circadian rhythm in mammals by exposing them to a continuous and specific spectrum and intensity of light for 16 to 18 hours a day.
It mimics the daylight benefits and feel-good factor of being outdoors on a bright midsummer day, optimising feed uptake, milk production and fertility.
The 70W Smart Linear Lights are easy to install, robust, energy saving and designed to work in a farm environment.
• Over 50,000 hour lifespan, maintenance-free, based on 16 hours per day over eight years
• 70W Smart Linear Light LED 1560mm fittings with 130lm/W lumen efficiency
• Includes blue, white and red LED lights
• IP69 certified for strong corrosion resistance, the fittings are suitable for harsh environments and are resistant to water, oil and dust
• Includes a five year warranty
• Manufactured to certification CE & RoHS and tested to the highest standards
The rhythm of life
DairyLight delivers an optimised spectrum of light, at the right intensity to have maximum effect on the circadian rhythm of the cow by regulating the secretion of melatonin, also known as the sleep hormone.
Melatonin production is suppressed and cow activity and efficiency are optimised. This is followed by a period of darkness, or near darkness, for six to eight hours, during which time melatonin production is stimulated and the cows rest and recover.
Unlike standard LED lights, DairyLight provides enough blue 450 NM light to replicate summer sunshine which controls Melatonin production. Melatonin is switched on by darkness and switched off by daylight.
It provides key functions in a cow’s activity, sleep cycle, bulling, heat and other seasonal changes such as coat setting.
An additional benefit of DairyLight, compared to standard lighting, is that by switching automatically to the red light it helps night-time supervision of the herd and creates a calm night-lit environment in the sheds. The red light allows for full rest as all other light sources can be switched off.
• Milk yields typically deliver an increase of between eight to 11% with results independently verified by Alltech E-CO2
• Weight gain in beef animals improved by up to 10%
• Improves cow fertility, shortens calving intervals and improves heat showing
• Summer-light conditions all year-round benefit coats and general wellbeing
• DairyLight helps to regulate the circadian rhythm and melatonin secretion
• Fully automated
• Control day and night light timing, switch from blue and white daylight to red night light
• Rated IP69 with excellent protection from pressure washing, moisture ingress and dust
• Investment payback is usually between four to seven months
• Lighting systems can be installed ceiling-mounted or suspended by a qualified electrician or we can install them for you
The DairyLight green technology reduces electricity use and CO2 emissions. Advanced technology reduces the impact on the environment whilst still delivering superior light.
By using highly efficient LED diodes the system helps reduce electrical usage and extends the working life with long-lasting high-quality luminaries.
The installation uses LED lamps that provide 150 lumens per watt - more light for less power - and the sensors will automatically turn off the lights if the natural daylight exceeds 200 lux.