Molecare Farm Vets will be running a three-day Cattle Artificial Insemination (AI) course taking place from Monday 10th - Wednesday 12th October, 9am – 3pm.
The first day will be based at the practice in Lympstone, near Exmouth and the second and third days will take place on a dairy farm near Broadhempston and Totnes.
The course, led by our vets, teaches the skills involved in performing AI and will cover:
- Dairy/suckler cows’ cycles, bulling and when to serve
- Anatomy of a cow’s reproductive tract – the vets will conduct a practical session using cadaver uteruses which will assist participants in identifying key parts of the reproductive system
- The importance of how to correctly store and handle frozen semen
- Practical sessions on how to safely pass an AI gun through the cow’s cervix which will enable you to learn where to aim for
- Ultra-sound scan of the uterus to determine where the semen has been deposited
- Understand the regulations governing AI in the UK
- The course is DEFRA approved
There will be an AI technician on hand to teach you tips and tricks on how to avoid common AI mistakes. Each day is a mixture of theory and practical technique and on the last day there will be a mini exam. If you would like to join for the purpose of a refresher course, you can attend two days at a reduced price.
Places on this course are limited to ensure participants receive as much individual time with the vets and AI technician as possible.
The cost of the course is £500+VAT, and lunch and refreshments are provided.
For more information or to book please call 01392 347240 or email [email protected]